Built in the eighteen hundreds, it was used as a home, and has been leased to local businessmen for insurance and attorney offices. In the 1970s, the building housed the Ohio University Post newspaper and the Athenian OU yearbook offices.
Pilcher House was named in honor of Thomas Murray Drake Pilcher. He was born in the Athens vicinity in 1832. He became a cabinet-maker apprentice at the age of 16. He was a Second Lieutenant and later Captain. He assisted in recruiting Company H, Seventy-Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.